Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The Mother

It was sometime in High School, over ten years ago, when I first read a poem by Maya Angelou. From the beginning her works have moved me deeply and I would say in many ways have taken a place in shaping the type of woman I have become.   Her works validated my life, growing up the daughter of a single mom on welfare, medi-cal, and food stamps.  There was hardship but there was much joy.  Additionally, her works helped me to understand many of the hardships women in poverty face on a daily basis. 

When Colter came home from work and asked me if I would be an additional chaperone for an event, and that this event was to go see Maya Angelou speak at the Lyric Opera House, I didn't hesitate for a second.  You see, Ms. Angelou has had such a profound influence on my life, it has always been a dream to see her speak.  Somewhere in my subconscience I had a mental list of things to do before I die, and seeing Ms. Angelou was definitely one of them.  

We took a group of 9 kids from Colter's school who were (besides being 9th graders) incredibly well-behaved and timmering with excitement.  Once Ms. Angelou came out onto the stage there was a roaring applause, no one hesitated to stand up and clap as hard as they could-as if attempting to be the one clap that stood out in Ms. Angelou's ears.  

And there she was.  Little Maya Angelou sitting in a chair on an enormous stage.  She began to sing, "Sometimes, I feel like a motherless child..." and spoke to us about some of the women who most influenced her life...she told stories, some hilarious (like that she does not travel well by plane because people always bother her by handing her babies, taking pictures against her will etc., her explanation: "...you see, I look just like Maya Angelou") yet all empowering stories. 

Then she began to read maybe her most famous poem, "Phenomenal Woman" (please read it!) As she read it, I could hear the whisper of many other women, reciting it from memory, whispering it along with Ms. Angelou as she recited.  Tears were flowing from many eyes, including mine.  And I thought of all the phenomenal women in my life, starting with my mother, Camilla, who is the most phenomenal woman I know.  Then I thought of all the other women who have made an impact in my development: my grandmother Inge, aunties, teachers, Ms. Angelou and other poets, writers, dear friends, and complete strangers.  

A few of many wonderful lessons from my Mami have been to love fiercely, to have unshakable faith, to fight for justice, and to persevere.  

From my Omi (grandmother) I learned that "Dein laetzten Hemd traegt keine Tasche." Translation: "Your last shirt will not have pockets", meaning that one cannot take possessions to the grave.  If you have something which makes someone else happy, give it freely to give joy to one another.  I also learned to enjoy life and please, eat a little chocolate because most likely you deserve it.

I would also like to honor the following women for the impact they have made on my personal and spiritual development: Eileen Banghart, Lia Dimill0-Gray, Sofia Whitehead, Cornelia Gloeckner, Marion Wuerfel, Shelly Gibbs, Grethe Klose, Toni Morrison, Anne Lamott, Dorothy Day, Mother Theresa, Kristi Diehl, all my lovely lady friends, and possibly you.
 

My Mami                                               My Omi                        















"Sometimes, I feel like a motherless child...."  Maybe sometimes we do feel like motherless children--lo, we are not.  We have many mothers and sisters in this world who have influenced us positively with a kind word or action and love, whether they are aware of this or not.  Please take time today to think of these women in your life and if you are able, honor them for their part in creating whom you have become.  

2 comments:

  1. I love our mommies, thanks for this post.. what an amazing opportunity!
    love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said Jordana. Have I told you lately that I'm incredibly proud of you? My students still talk about what an amazing experience that was.
    I'd like to give a shout out to your mother as well.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.